We are pleased to announce that the University of Pretoria will host the second South African Higher Education Analytics (SAHELA) workshop on 15 September 2014 in collaboration with the Southern African Association for Institutional Research (SAAIR). The SAAIR is holding its 21st annual conference in Pretoria from 16-18 September at the Saint George Hotel & Conference Centre. The SAHELA workshop will be at the same venue.
The SAHELA 2014 workshop will be linked again to the Harvard Graduate School of Education, the International Society Educational Data Mining and the Society for Learning Analytics Research 2nd Learning Analytics Summer Institutes held from June 30 – July 2, 2014. The theme of the SAHELA workshop is aligned with international trends in Higher Education and echoed by international reports. As a new discipline with a direct impact on educational practice, research and management we need to move from knowledge about Learning Analytics to actionable steps in implementation based on institutional readiness and strategy with the aim to improve student success.
In hosting the event in collaboration with SAAIR we are hoping to increase collaboration amongst different institutional stakeholders to improve capacity to collect data and integrate it with the aim to improve student success. We have been blessed In South Africa with excellent expertise in Institutional Research but we can achieve more if we coordinate the efforts relating to the use of data to support student success across institutional stakeholders. This is the objective of the SAHELA workshop through the link with the SAAIR conference.
During the course of the workshop, we hope to focus on some of the following questions:
- How are formative student data being used to support student success?
- How are academic data currently being used for management information and decision-making purposes about teaching and learning?
- What is the latest trends and research themes in Learning Analytics?
- How have institutions integrated tracking systems to gather more advanced data on their students at risks specifically focusing on undergraduate students?
- What is the key elements needed to use the data in integrated planning and advising systems?
- What is the key questions academic staff, Institutional leadership want answers on?
- What data do we need to collect to answer these questions?
- What is the implication of learning analytics on current teaching practice and processes?
- What’s your Insititution analytics maturity index?
- How do we make student success an institutional priority?
You are more than welcome to add to the list of questions you may have by using the discussion forum.
Registration and cost:
Please register for the workshop. We have limited capacity available at the venue and would like to invite you to register as soon as possible.
Cost: R 800.00 per person. The cost includes refreshments, lunch and a light dinner directly after the workshop. You can find the preliminary programme here.
The workshop will include online presentations and interactive group discussions focusing on the use of technology enabled formative data to support student success initiatives as well as the process to institutionalize learning analytics.
As background to the workshop please view the streamed or saved presentations from the 2nd Learning Analytics Summer Institutes held from June 30 – July 2, 2014 online.
For more information visit the information at the bottom of the following page: http://www.solaresearch.org/events/lasi-2/lasi2014/lasi-local/
LASI - #lasi14 and #lasi2014
SAHELA - #SAHELA14
In order to participate in the LASI14 online events you can follow the information provided at:
SAHELA 2013 Presentations
The conference presentations from last year can be found here.